To many people, a dental assistant and a dental hygienist in Calgary seem the same. However, it is important to note there is a distinct distinction between the two roles. Both are important for maintaining healthy teeth and helping dentists with their work, but you’ll learn that their job duties vary in some crucial aspects.
What Do Dental Assistants in Calgary Do?
A dental assistant is exactly that – an assistant to the dentist conducting the treatment. It is their role to provide support and help in any way while undertaking tasks before and after the dentist has finished their work. In most cases, a dental assistant will help with the following:
- Assisting the dentist during any treatment procedures, such as root canals, cavities, emergency dental in Calgary situations, and more
- Taking and developing x-rays of the patient
- Preparing the patient for the treatment
- Sterilizing the instruments and equipment in preparation for the treatment
- Taking impressions of patients’ teeth for crowns, dentures, and dental implants
- Teaching patients the benefits of proper oral hygiene techniques
What Do Dental Hygienists in Calgary Do?
In many situations, dental hygienists in Calgary perform the same duties as dental assistants. However, they offer a distinct difference in their role: they provide hygienic support to patients to ensure their teeth are in excellent health. In their separate position, they offer:
- Dental cleaning processes, such as cleaning teeth and gums
- Examining teeth for any decay or gum diseases while cleaning
- Removing stains and plaque (hard and soft deposits) from all surfaces of the teeth
- Applying fluoride, sealants and other applications for your teeth during the cleaning
- Administering local anesthetics during procedures
- Removing sutures and dressings in the mouth
With a firm knowledge of what to expect at your dentist in NW Calgary, you know the difference between the two positions. If you are looking to get your teeth cleaned and checked, make sure you visit your dental hygienist in Calgary today.
Montgomery Dental Centre is here to provide all of NW Calgary with an array of dental services. From preventative dental cleanings to root canals and dental implants, we can help you with your teeth concerns, including emergency dental care. Please book your appointment with family-friendly dentist in NW Calgary today by calling (403) 452 5115.