A dental abscess is one of the most painful yet common dental problems an individual might face. An infection in your mouth has resulted in pus building up in your gums. You can experience all types of symptoms, including intense throbbing pain, pain that spreads to your ear and jaw, swollen gums, extreme sensitivity and bad breath. In some severe cases, the infection can spread and give you a fever, as well as make you struggle to breathe and swallow.
Although it sounds unbearable, you have to remain calm, take care of yourself and seek dental treatment as soon as possible.
What to do if you have a dental abscess
You should book an appointment with your dentist in Calgary NW as soon as possible. In the meantime, you have to control the pain and manage your symptoms by doing the following:
- Taking painkillers, such as Ibuprofen or Tylenol. Please note: do not give aspirin to children under 16.
- Avoid hot or cold food or drink if it makes the pain worse. Try eating softer meals on the opposite side of your mouth.
- Avoid flossing around the affected tooth or gum area.
- Brush softly around the area and not on it.
These measures can help relieve your symptoms temporarily, but you should not use them as a way to delay visiting your dentist in Calgary NW.
The treatments for a dental abscess
The procedure for dental abscesses means removing the source of the infection, after an investigation by your dentist a treatment plan will be made in order to address the source of the infection.
Preventing dental abscesses
You can reduce your risk of developing dental abscesses by doing the following:
- Having a routine dental process where you floss and brush your teeth two times a day
- Eat a healthy diet with minimal sugar, fatty foods and drinks. Avoid alcohol as much as possible.
- Visit your dentist in Calgary NW as often as you can for a check to see if you have any potential issues.
- Get your teeth regularly cleaned by a dental hygienist in Calgary to maintain healthy gums and teeth.
Montgomery Dental Centre is here to provide all of NW Calgary with an array of dental services. From preventative dental cleanings to root canals and dental implants, we can help you with your teeth concerns, including emergency dental care. Please book your appointment with family-friendly dentist in NW Calgary today by calling (403) 452 5115.